Don’t. If I said anonymously message me if you feel uncomfortable in your uniform, my ask box would be flooded. And that upsets me. Ugh, I just want to tell all of you, you’re perfect. Don’t worry about love handles, or big thighs, or not having a flat stomach. I read something on tumblr tonight about a very, very young girl who clearly has an eating disorder and a horrible obsession with being skinny. And it led her to believe so negatively about herself that she takes everything so seriously and she’s on the verge of becoming suicidal if nothing changes. When I was her age I was beating up boys and playing in dirt! (I was kind of a tomboy haha). But my point, this is getting way out of control. Especially in our sport where we wear uniforms that show every little flaw. But the thing is, they aren’t flaws. You are built a certain way, don’t ruin your life trying to change that. Yes, it would be nice to look like Jamie Andries, but realistically, very few people do. Less than 2% of the worlds population is naturally the skinny that everyone is striving to be. That leaves 98% of the population. 98%. Please, love yourself the way you are. Skinny is pretty, but so is curvy, and muscular. And you don’t have to be 90lbs to be a flyer. I’m a base and a flyer on an all girl team and I’m 127lbs. If your bases can’t lift you, tell them to lift some weights! Girls (and guys), of all sizes are amazing tumblers, and have hyper extended jumps, I’ve seen it! Being skinny isn’t the answer to being a good cheerleader. Being skinny won’t make you happy, loving yourself will.
If you’re not taking this seriously, please think about it. Be confident. If not for you, then for that little girl in the front row watching your every move. If every single cheerleader was super skinny, what kind of example would we be setting for the next generation? We don’t want little girls to be worrying about being skinny so they look good in a cheerleading uniform. We don’t want little girls so scared to grow into their bodies. We don’t want little girls with negative opinions about themselves. We want little girls happy and playing with their friends and asking their mom for seconds of dessert, ya know, being kids.
Things really need to start changing. Being skinny won’t make you look good in your uniform, being a good cheerleader will.
Chin up guys, you’re all beautiful :)